Hey there. We haven’t properly met. My name is Jennilee Park, and I am currently a student at the Institute of Production and Recording in Minneapolis. I’ve been going to IPR part-time for the past year, studying Sound Design for Visual Media. Basically, I’m becoming an Audio Engineer but instead of mostly recording bands, I will mostly record sound effects, dialog, and make music for films, TV, and commercials.
The current trend on Facebook is to list a bunch of things about yourself, and when someone ‘likes’ it, you give them a number and they have to write that number of things about themselves on their own page. I thought I would do that here:
1. Whenever I see a dog (the fluffier the better!) I gasp and say “PUPPY!” I especially do this around my husband, Kyle. Someday he’ll get sick of that and will get me one, right?
2. I love lists. Currently, Kyle and I are trying to watch all of the Hitchcock films and AFI top 100 films*. We have a Minneapolis restaurant list and we are trying to find the “best” of: pizza, wings, sushi, burgers, tea, beer, etc. We have a list of all of the places we want to travel. If you talk to us on any given weekend, we are probably crossing off something on our list.
3. I have officially accomplished my personal goal of learning to like seafood! I’m pretty sure I have eaten more seafood in the past year than I have in my entire life. In fact, I even tried octopus a few weeks ago and I liked it. (I was not afraid, thanks to watching Master Chef Junior!)
4. I collect mugs. Actually, drinking vessels. There are only two people in our house, but we probably have enough drinking vessels for a party of 60. Ridiculous.
5. I knit and crochet. Currently I’m working on a hat.
6. Speaking of knitting, I always get wild ideas of making Christmas presents for people. It is not unusual for me to be up all night on Christmas Eve finishing everyone’s presents.
7. I have a degree in music from a small college near KC. I sang in the choir, played the French Horn in the band and orchestra, and mostly wrote a lot of papers about music. The highlight was spending a year studying music in Oxford, UK, and I would go back in a heartbeat. (Maybe they’ll hire me to work on Downton Abbey?!)
8. When I was in 5th grade, I got into a girl’s choral group, and on our first tour we went all the way to Sioux City Iowa. Since then, I have traveled throughout the Midwest, part of the East/East Coast, some of the South, California, Winnipeg, and Europe all for various music group tours. Pretty good stuff for not being a professional or being in a rock band.
9. This year I joined the volunteer audio tech team at church. I was at a gathering of the worship and tech volunteers, and one woman said, “Oh, I heard there was a cool audio chick on the sound team.” Cool audio chick? I’ll take it!
10. A long time ago I saw a feature about the Foley recording on Pixar’s Ratatoille. It dawned on me that of course there are various jobs on film and TV that need people to work on sound. When I noticed that IPR offered a sound design degree, I decided that this was for me…
That’s all for now!
*Regardless of the Hollywood factor, it has it’s merits. Many of the films on the list were chosen for historical significance or for the contributions they made to film technology in general.